November 9, 2011

Art Venues and My Opinions

 I love the idea of public art. It is seen by everyone passing by and creates unique landmarks in a city filled with buildings. If I were to create a piece of art I would want it to be publicly displayed because art is meant to be seen, not hidden away. Although, art museums have many positive aspects, if you truly want to put your art out there, it should be public. In addition to viewing public art and visiting the Art Institute of Chicago, I also looked at art in a few galleries. I visited many in the Michigan Ave/ River East/ Loop. The galleries included; KM Fine Arts, Valerie Carberry Gallery, The Fine Arts Building, R.S Johnson Fine Arts and President's Gallery, Harold Washington College. As much as I like public venues, galleries are a close second in deciding where I would want to place my art. I think galleries have a public, but also private feel. Many people wander into galleries to view art, but usually it is someone that already has an interest in art. This I suppose, is why I keep going back to public art. It is not only seen by those with an interest in art, but also by the general public.  

No comments:

Post a Comment